Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hardt Family MIA

So where ya been? you may ask. Why no enthralling posts? Well, I was pregnant...Yay! Then I had a miscarriage...boo :(. And in between those 2 things I had horrendous morning sickness (a misnomer if I've ever heard one). Terrible morning sickness like I had with Gus... but worse. So I've spent the past month on the sofa or in bed. I finally went to the ER for fluids and was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum. Good times! So the whole thing ended in a miscarriage at 10 weeks, midwife says most likely caused by a chromosomal abnormality (aka the usual cause of early miscarriage). Tim and I are fine and we'll start trying again once we get settled at our next base. All was not a total loss, however, as we hope to be much better prepared for me to be as sick the next time around. I held some hope that I wouldn't be as sick this time as I was with Gus (because you know each pregnancy is different! *blech* whatever!) but I harbor no such illusions that the next time around will be any better. That's ok, we'll be more prepared with help with Gus, with medications, IV fluids when necessary and maybe a high risk OB until the HG passes. Tim carried as much of the load by himself as he could-- he *is* The Best Husband In The Whole Entire World, you know- he cooked and cleaned and took care of Gus all the time for every second of every day except for putting him to sleep and he took him to swim and play with his little buddies and took care of me and worked a full time job- but the man was looking stretched thin by the end. I think we might have shaved a few years off of the end of his life. Next time we'll be hiring a team so that Tim can stay his youthful self.

So a big ole' thanks to my mom and Janie for taking such good care of Gus (and me) when I was sick, and thanks to Katherine for filling in the spaces when they couldn't be here. And thanks to Deb, Bre and Ilka for continuing to call me even though I never answered the phone.

No comments: